Possibly Broken

"To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket- safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable." -- CS Lewis

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Things That Are Dumb.

1. Reality TV
2. Mosquitoes
3.Religions having to do with spaghetti
4. My physics class
5.Fighting with your siblings over the bathroom
6. Sheep
7. Me

I am a very dumb person and I have just fully come to understand that fact (hence further proving this truth!)

See, I just keep doing these things and they are VERY DUMB.

So first of all, I performed a couple songs that I wrote for my school today.  The whole time I was worrying about what people thought of ME, if they would like MY voice, MY words, MY guitar-playing skills.  Even though the songs I had written were about God, I certainly thought little of Him today.  But He was thinking of me.

After I performed, a girl who I've never met before came up to me.
     "Maggie, you were so good!  I loved your songs!"
     "Aww, thanks!"  I replied.
     "And guess what?"  She said shyly, "I know what your songs were about!" 
     "Really?"  I grinned.
     "Yea, you're a Christian, aren't you?"
      I laughed.  "Yep!"
     "I knew it!"  She beamed, "I was so excited when I heard what you were singing about!"
I thanked her again and asked what her name was.  She said it was Lauren.

     Well thank you again, Lauren.  For showing me how dumb I am.  Here I am worrying about if people like me and if I'll mess up and all sorts of other things, and all the while God was using my song to encourage someone else.  If that was the only good that came out of my performance, it was totally worth it.

     And here's another thing that I will be less specific about.  I have been struggling with many temptations these past couple of weeks.  Maybe it's because of stress or lack of sleep but whatever the case it  has just been a really bad....month.  I was planning on doing something pretty dumb, and I knew that God could hear my every thought and search the depths of my heart but I didn't care.  I was just kind of saying, "Whatever, God.  I'll do what I want when I want to because I CAN."  Which of course, is dumb in itself.  He had every right to come down and lecture me like he did to Job (chapter 38): 

"Who is this who darkens counsel
By words without knowledge?
Now prepare yourself like a man;
I will question you, and you shall answer Me.
“Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?
Tell Me, if you have understanding.
Who determined its measurements?
Surely you know!
Or who stretched the line upon it?
To what were its foundations fastened?
Or who laid its cornerstone,
When the morning stars sang together,
And all the sons of God shouted for joy?"

I mean, He didn't actually come down and say all that to me.  He didn't have to.

     Because here I am, about to do this dumb thing, and GOD USES IT FOR HIMSELF.  Right?  I mean, he just plain worked it all out according to His own plan.  I wish I could give you more detail than that, but just trust me when I say that it was pretty crazy.

Am I surprised?  No.  

Proverbs 16:9 “A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.” 

Psalm 32:8 “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.” 
  
     You know, in the bible, God compares us to sheep many times.  I don't know much about sheep, but if I know anything, it's that they are very DUMB.  But when they follow their shepherd, they do what is best for them.  They are safe and happy under his watch.  

     No, thinking about it, I am not surprised at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment